Sunday 9 May 2010

EDMOND BYRNE'S GRADUATION EXHIBITION, 28TH MAY - 6TH JUNE, RCA, LONDON





Running in the RCA's Henry Moore Gallery, Irish glass artist Edmond Byrne's Graduation Show will be on show from the 28th May until 6th June. Below is his artist's statement, and you can view his work on his website: www.edmondbyrne.com

My work is an enquiry into tactility and mark-making on the surface of glass. I have focused on mould-blowing as a spontaneous process to jag, dint and crinkle glass forms. In some of my pieces I have ground back the raised areas to create marks and lines to describe functional objects.

By using opaque colours the textured surface becomes vibrant and strong. This gives me the opportunity to make colour tactile and in doing so evoke the sense of touch. In other pieces I have left the surface alone allowing it to influence the overall object.

The process of making the moulds is an equally important part of my practice, they are made from textile, clay and plaster and can only be used once. The energy and gesture used in making these unique moulds is reflected in the vessels they produce. I do a lot of drawing, in a sense the surfaces of the glass objects I make inherit the qualities of a ‘drawing’.

No comments:

Post a Comment